Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What The Kids Today Are Listening Too

So lately I've been leaving NPR where my car radio is usually stuck for a little further left on the dial to "THE WOOD", the student radio station of Lindenwood College. I am so very amused by listening to this. Unlike Hendrix's radio station which could barely be heard off campus, this station has some range. Lindenwood is in St. Charles and I'm assuming their radio station is there too, but I've picked it up in Illinois, my parking garage downtown (just not on the second level), and down I-44 a little ways as well. Of course, like everything else (cell phones, radio and tv transmissions, and the cordless phone) it is difficult to get in Webster, but still, I get enough coverage to not be annoyed by static. Some of the things I love about THE WOOD (besides their ridiculous name)is their incredibly in-depth coverage of the Lindenwood Men's Bowling team, their strange hyper-newsy announcer feed from the AP with his old time emphasis on random words in each sentence (think Howard Cosell), the student djs/announcers who try to do this too, despite it not being particularly useful for comprehension and it's made even worse by their not pre-reading the text so they stumble through it, the occasional announcer who cannot read at all, yet painstakingly tries to get through it, and most of all the tendency of THE WOOD to play college favorites from my college period - um 20 years ago. And then they play stuff I've never heard before, but I like which is probably stuff you've all heard of, but I haven't unless it's been featured on NPR, where I get all my other music recommendations, because um, well, I'm old.

So here's a band I would have never heard about if not for THE WOOD, and I'm sharing it with you too, because I think they're nifty (aren't all Scottish bands?)and I keep hearing this song in my head. Oh and they have a girl drummer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strangely enough, I (who never listen to the radio anymore and certainly never to music on the radio) was asking N just the other day what station she was listening to while we were in the car - I of course was just an eavesdropper not listening to music on the radio - and she (much to our mutual giggles) said THE WOOD.

I was impressed that they were playing Rilo Kiley and Ani DiFranco, but I can honestly say I've never heard an announcement or DJ of any sort - so, it seems I was lucky... :)

-tp

Murfmensch said...

Lindenwood's bowling team was the national champion.

A taste of glory can bring out the pathos in a communication student.

I am sure the songs are market-driven and not student-chosen.