Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Grocery Store Happiness

Isn't usually an emotion I feel. It's more like grocery store annoyance or grocery store irritability - despite that fact that I like to shop and I like to eat. Lately I've been extremely annoyed because I'm reading more ingredient lists on my food and suddenly I don't want to eat that food anymore. The most recent case was when I bought some turkey sausage for Nora and me and then was extremely annoyed to find that it had whey in it (off limits for Nora) and then after I read everything else, I was sure that I didn't want to eat it either! What with the absence of soy cheese and yogurt products at Schnucks and my already aware state about our meat industry (made worse by everyone reading The Omnivore's Dilemma in my orbit) I have not been too happy at the grocery store lately.

But then I visited the Local Harvest Grocery on Morganford. This place is small but awesome. Local meat (not necessarily organic - but hormone free and grass fed), soy products galore and other organic/healthy food also. And it is so much closer than running out west to shop for those specialty items. I'm happy again. Please go and support it! They even have sandwiches/coffee/sweet rolls for when you just need a quick nosh. Yum!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you support Hendrix alums while you're shopping well.

Note: they have Mound City nut products (like the groovy peanut butter) and some produce/berries. I checked out the Tofutti products and was a little unsure of the "American Cheese" but I'll certain contribute to the cause. Also, they use biodegradable bags if you don't bring your own.

-TP