Thursday, November 1, 2007

American Girl

So my mother got an American Girl catalog in the mail and passed it on to me. Nora is a bit too young still for their targeted demographic, but I ended up browsing through it anyway. It confirmed much of my early opinion of the marketing giant, that they use book tie ins to lure parents in to buying a whole lifestyle for their dolls, that they might even balk at buying for their daughters themselves. After my initial horror, I brought it to my office and to a group of women who are similar minded to me, for them to turn their feminist eyes on it. One of them noticed (& I heard her cackling at her desk) and pointed out to me that Kit, the 1934 doll was described as the "bright light of the depression era". We were all feeling a mixture of shock and awe at the sheer volume of accessories and lifestyle packets that are available for the dolls, some of which correspond with their literary historical counterparts (check out the new 1970's doll if you really want to feel old) and then something odd happened. It got to my co-worker first. She turned the page with the matching daughter/doll pajamas. "Ohhh, I can see why people buy this, I would've wanted my daughter to have this", As I was laughing at all the excess (do we really need tiaras for our daughters and our daughters dolls?) I was occasionally pulled in by some of the details. It brought me back to my aunt's amazing barbie doll wardrobe and how much fun I had playing with it. My colleague, who's daughter is just a couple of years older than Nora, pointed out how well made the AG stuff is compared to other toys, and how cool the record player (for the doll) actually played little miniature 45's. Then I saw the Kit doll's doll (insane isn't it?), who was dressed like an aviatrix. Now I want an aviatrix outfit and matching doll for Nora (no, I haven't checked to see if this is possible). So who knows if I'll eventually fall into the American Girl marketing quagmire. I've still got a few years before it starts working it's evil hypnosis on Nora, and maybe by then I'll figure out where I stand.

2 comments:

pawatkins said...

OK Maggie, I love dolls and I have to admit to liking the American Girl dolls. I do agree that spending all that money would be stupid and I have not done that. I think what I like most is looking at the catalogs. It does sort of show kids how children dressed throught the ages. But again I say, I love dolls of all kinds. Patty (Carol's mom) Also, I love checking in on your blog. It is so interesting. I love Carol's blog too and can't wait to read something new.

Anonymous said...

Maggie, we went through a brief period when Jaden was fascinated. You talked about the details...the 1975 doll has a bicentennial coin in her extras. She's ahead of her time?