Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday Lunch Roundup

I actually made most of our lunches the night before for the first time. This enabled us to get out the door on time! I love going to Nora's pre-school. Today I met one of her classmates, Luke. Nora wasn't thrilled about him, but he seemed like a nice boy. They are doing cooking experiments today, so I wonder if she'll be willing to do some at home this weekend. I've been meaning to test-drive Vegan Lunch Box's recipe for vegan rice crispy treats. Since this will make a very small dent in the 3 bottles of Karo syrup I've somehow amassed, it's high on the priority list. Let's hope its a favorite.

Here's the lunches for today:


Nora has leftovers from dinner the other night - 1/2 a bean and chicken burrito cut into pinwheels (this alligns with the other kids lunch menu - bean and cheese burritos), a pear cup, carrot sticks and a dip made from soy sour cream and salsa. I froze some o.j. in a reusable juice box to keep it all cold.

I've got a turkey and cheese sandwich, grapes, and a salad made from edaname, corn, & dried cranberries with a walnut oil/basalmic vinegar/apple cidar dressing.
Jason has cheese and rye crackers, tomato soup, grapes and some of the edaname salad. Here is his all tied up. I didn't get an elastic strap for his bento (it's on the way, along with a neutral looking lunch bag) so I tie his up using a rather girly napkin a'la the japanese furoshiki. The government of Japan has put out a handy guide on how to tie these wraps, but I haven't studied it in detail, so mine are a bit more free form:
I am quite happy on how I managed to get that spoon tied in there too.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Maggie - that looks so awesome... healthy, beautiful, and artful.

Lucky Nora! Lucky Jason!