Monday, February 12, 2007

Sharing


I've decided to actually tell folks about this blog. I did a mini-release Friday, with Tree and Jason, and they were nice enough to comment, which has encouraged me to post more and to direct others here. Of course you may not stop by, but if you do and you are curious, the title for this comes from this old nursery rhyme for counting magpies:

One for Sorrow
Two For Joy
Three for a Letter
Four for a Boy
Five for Silver
Six for Gold
Seven for a Secret Never to Be Told

There are several other versions also:

One for sorrow
Two for mirth
Three for a wedding
Four for a birth
Five for rich
Six for poor
Seven for a witch
I can tell you no more.

or


One for sorrow
Two for mirth,
Three for a wedding
Four for a birth,
Five for silver
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret not to be told.

Eight for heaven
Nine for hell,
And ten for the devil's own sel'.

Or more commonly:
One for sorrow, two for joy;

Three for a girl, four for a boy;

Five for silver, six for gold;

Seven for a secret, never to be told;

Eight for a wish, nine for a kiss;

Ten for a bird that's best to miss.

2 comments:

Tree said...

I did wonder where the name for the blog came from, and now I know! ;) I love the rhymes. I'm sure you probably are away of this already, but despite the bad rap that poor magpies get in the West, in Korea, the magpie delivers good news and invites good people. So, it's definitely not a bird that's "best to miss"!

Anonymous said...

You are soooo bookmarked in my browser, Maggie! This is great.

-- Natascha