Saturday, August 18, 2007

Sunbuttery goodness and then no longer....

I’ve recently become enamored with sun butter, the peanut butter like substance made from sunflower seeds. I actually like the taste better, and it has more vitamins, and best of all, it doesn’t trigger a peanut butter allergy attack in Nora (we don’t know yet that she is allergic, but given her reaction to dairy, we are supposed to avoid it like the plague until she’s five). And because I’m also all about Isa’s vegan recipes, that have yet to fail me, I thought I’d try the crispy peanut butter cookie recipe substituting sun butter. Well…I don’t blame Isa, but this was not a success. I was so very excited. The batter tasted great raw (one of the other pluses of vegan recipes – no problem eating raw cookie dough). However, the first pan (made as written except for the sun butter sub) was way too runny to possibly set up. I added some more flour to the remainder of the batter. Again, a bit too runny for cookie texture raw. Baked, both batches were too cakey – the first crumbling very unhappily

and the second still to cakey and crumbly. Also, there was a faint burnt/scorched taste – true sunflower seed oil has a lower smoke point than peanut oil – but at 350 degrees I didn’t think this was an issue. They are okay with milk, taste wise, and Nora seems to eat them, though not as greedily as the oatmeal/pumpkin/raisin ones and there is no “coookkiiee” exclamation once she eats them. I've put the rest of the batter in the fridge to eat raw, but as for cookies, it's back to the drawing board.

1 comments:

TP said...

Do not betray Isa! She has tested these things... like scientifically and everything... they are always good. It's when we think we, too, can manage... we can improvise... that the vegan joy betrays us. Walk the path faithfully, and all will be well :)

T