Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Tomatorama

This past week has been full of tomatoes. I picked up several from a guy with a truck on Broadway, and then the next day I was presented with some more, along with some squash grown by Ted and Linda via Mom, and then I couldn't help myself and bought still more (heirlooms this time) from the local gardeners at the Tower Grove Farmers Market. So what did I do with all of these? First there was the ragout with tomatoes and zucchini over grillled polenta, then there was the tomato, kasha, and cheese stuffed zucchini, then there was another ragout of tomatoes, zucchini, white beans and eggplant over more polenta (baked this time), and finally I experimented with my first crepes and stuffed them with fontina, sunflower sprouts and those heirloom tomatoes. Nora even got some in her tofu-cheese quesadillas. We ate it all so fast, I never remembered to take photos. While I'm temporarily out of them, I can't say I'm done with tomatoes though - there are still plans for BLTs or maybe just plain tomato sandwiches, Jason wants some gazpocho, I need to make some of Miss Dixie's Hot Sauce, I'd like to replicate this great fattoush salad I got in Michigan, and well I could eat more in just about any form. If I haven't gotten enough, I think we might have to attend the Iron Barley Tomato Fest later this month. I love August. A Big Thanks to all of you farmers out there with your magnificent produce -especially the tomatoes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please.

Come....

And cook for me....

galaxiecarol said...

Oh Maggie. You missed our East Nashville Tomato Art Festival this year (it was last weekend in the blazing heat). Next year you must come for sure.

Anonymous said...

I recently heard a funny story involving tomatoes and illegal fireworks... It's a veritable -orama of tomato fun.

TP