Monday, January 28, 2008

Childhood Food

So lately, I've been trying to come up with more ideas for Nora's meals (and ours) and since she's a second meat eater, this means that I'm now buying and cooking more meat than I have ever before. This has encouraged me to return to some of the meals of my childhood. Things I haven't eaten in years. One standard in my house growing up was a mayo based tuna pasta salad which I'm sort of making a varient of for tonight. Basically, macaroni, tuna, onion, carrots, peas and a nayonaise dressing (although when I was growing up it was macaroni, tuna, onion, dill pickles & olives w/ a mayo dressing) - see Isa's Brooklyn Macaroni Salad for inspiration. I also dragged out this old standby from the Betty Crocker for kids cookbook - pear bunnies - although I think the original had involved cottage cheese, you can't really tell in the picture but the tail is a marshmallow.

Note the tator tots - a sure sign of childhood. I still love them!

Tonight, I'm also making a jello w/ pineapple. Although, if my mom or one of her aunts were making this it would also involve shredded carrots, celery (yuck), mandarin oranges, and possibly nuts.

So what comes to mind when you think of childhood food? Any favorites? Anything you wouldn't touch again with a 10 foot pole? Send me your memories!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The childhood food I remember fondly didn't actually come from my home. It was out of the grandparentals.

My Mamaw did a homemade fried chicken and mashed potatoes to end all chicken and potato dishes.

My Grandmother let me help in the kitchen so my love for the dishes was in direct proportion to how much I was involved. Primarily Chicken N Dumplins and homemade Fried Pies (yes... I know). And on rare occasions there was that grail of strange foods from Grandmother's house "Chocolate Gravy".

You'll note there were no silly green things or non-fried foods. Cholesterol is a crock.

We kept it on the second shelf on the right.

-tp

galaxiecarol said...

I think I remember most fondly the holiday meals... because I got to eat lots of stuff my mother didn't make... not that I didn't like my mother's food! But she has a set list of things she made and at holiday meals there was a variety that I could try out. But then again, when I think about it, the dishes brought were always the same things. Oh well. I remember my grandmother's sweet potato casserole as being supremo. And my mother's pies of course!! Oh and her Rotele Dip!