Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Children's Music That Doesn't Make You Want To Jab Pointy Things In Your Ears


I bought this album for Nora for Easter. But of course when it arrived in the box yesterday, I couldn't resist opening it up and giving it a listen. It had come recommended from some other moms on Glitter, although I hadn't actually heard it yet. When I saw the label indicating that it was part of the Smithsonian's Folkways Project, I knew I had made a good purchase, but I didn't expect to fall in love with it so immediately. Elizabeth Mitchell's voice is beautiful. I'm sure all of you will hear it when you visit us, but if you want some samples, check them out on her website. Now that I know she does The Ladybug Picnic, I think it will be a very short time indeed before I order You Are My Sunshine and all of her other albums.

4 comments:

TP said...

And of course there are plenty of good kid-friendly musics in the adult sections... Hem is nice, some nice vocal jazz (Shirley Bassey, Ella, Sarah Vaughn, etc.), and I'm of course a fan of bossanova, so if there is any objectionable content it's in Portuguese and no one need ever know... :)

Murfmensch said...

Nora was very fond of the thrilling guitar music found at the following link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOAzuqngOYo

--jbm

TP said...

It is, one must note, completely unfair to spring Cindy and Bert on unprepared readers.

Not Hasselhoff Recursion unfair, mind you, but certainly unfair.

magpie said...

Nora does listen to adult music all the time as well. Including HEM,the Throwing Muses, and jazz too -Ella, Nat, Peggy Lee and Moondog.

Actually this album, despite the title, IS adult music - and classic American/Folk music - some of it is stuff I've known forever, some of it is more recent music that you are probably already familiar with. There are songs on here written by Gillian Welch, Bob Marley, and Velvet Underground, but it sounds completely fresh and different through her voice and his arrangements. Also, the history of some of the songs and why they chose them is on the website, and I was really interested in some of the back story.