Monday, March 19, 2007

What to Feed the Baby?


This weekend I'm back to cooking things for Nora and I realized that we haven't tried the obvious calcium laden choice for milk adverse toddlers - tofu! She's been drinking soy milk for several months, but somehow I never got around to giving her tofu, although it's something Jason and I eat a lot of, although usually in restaurants, since I don't always feel like cooking with it. First I gave her some straight, right out of the package and she ate it, but it looked a little unappetizing. So I cubed some up and sauteed it in some olive oil, cumin, and chili powder with shredded cabbage for Nora and she gobbled it up!

I decided to freeze it and later I moved on to smoothies - soymilk, frozen banana, frozen tofu, and frozen berries. It tasted yummy to me too!

4 comments:

Tree said...

Wow, that does sound pretty good! One thing Ellie really likes is the tofu boiled in a soy-bean paste stew (similar to Japanese miso, but the Korean version tends to be a bit heavier). The big downside to this is that the soup itself can be quite on the salty side. We usually serve it with a mixture of brown and white rice and Ellie tends to like. She'll also just it eat fried, but I'll have to try the addition of the cumin. That sounds pretty yummy!!

Murfmensch said...

Maggie also froze the blueberry-tofu blend and I've given that to her twice. She likes it a lot and the cold may be helping her as she withstands three (!) emerging teeth.

She is such a happy girl.

Ellie's diet sounds really neat. She will grow up with such a nice exposure to two sets of food.

magpie said...

Tree,

I'd like to have your recipe - that sounds really yummy for us too! Hope you are doing okay, 4 days to go!!!!

We look forward to the New Bu.

TP said...

I eat tofu when I go out, but am intimidated by it at home. Right now it is sitting at the back of the fridge waiting on me to pop down and turn it into something fabulous... oh the waiting...