Friday, March 30, 2007

Dutch Treat


I'm looking for decals for my mom's old play cupboard that she is refinishing for Nora. It had some very cute old decals on it of little Dutch boys and girls that she remembers her mom and sister carefully applying. In my search for some vintage decals, I'm finding a few that might fit the bill and I thought I might share a few just in case anyone else gets into a vintage mode (btw, I'm finding all sorts of other cute decals as well - pin up girls, dogs, nursery rhymes, retro appliances, etc.)

Note to Fred: I am aware that this doesn't represent actual Dutch children; you probably will be more interested in the decals below:

These dancing girls solve a small mystery that has been puzzling me when I am out at estate sales. I'll often see these risque glasses with dancing girls, pin up girls, and sometimes brides (?) in the basements of older homes. These glasses have the girls clothed on outside of the glass but as you drink down your beverage it reveals a nudie pic of the girl inside the glass. I now know that these were created with these fabulous two-sided decals that were apparently quite popular in the 40's and 50's. Which sort of begs the question of who actually bought these decals and "made" these glasses. I always assumed that the man of the house was responsible for purchasing the glasses, but now I guess these manly guys were also buying the decals and burnishing them onto the glasses as well. I guess we've all got our craft projects.

4 comments:

TP said...

I believe the "novelty" glasses were commonly available through mail order for rumpus rooms and basement bars... or so I hear. As I understand it, no emasculating craft work was necessary, though one could enjoy a naughty beverage after having chopped wood or rotated tires.

galaxiecarol said...

yep, my stepdad had some of these. I think they are really quite essential to the bachelor pad. I will have Fred check the dutch decals. I love them, of course, so he will no doubt HATE THEM WITH A PASSION.

Murfmensch said...

One could have a set of dutch decals such that, initially one sees a kid with silver skates or wooden shoes and another temperature reveals the real dutch guy on the way to the disco or developing total football.

Headley said...

I'm with Carol, but I'm with Jason too...