Tuesday, July 29, 2008

We Caved

That damn mouse has gotten us again.  The other night, I broke down and bought three DVDs for Nora: 101 Dalmatians (of course), the Aristocats (part of my cat ownership propaganda) and Robin Hood (my childhood favorite).  We decide to wait on Balto.  Well, I popped in The Aristocats tonight, and there was a preview that is almost making me regret my purchase.  This winter, we can look forward to Snow Buddies.  The offspring of Air Bud fall out of an airplane over Alaska and make a young boys dream of racing in the Iditarod come true.  Yes, a team of golden retriever puppies is going to beat out all those other teams of arctic dogs because they have spunk.   I had a sour taste in my mouth, but then Maurice Chevalier started singing the title song and I was drawn in to Disney of my childhood and these modern atrocities were forgotten.  


BTW, Aristocats also includes the voice work of Mel Blanc, Eva Gabor, and Thurl Ravenscroft in case you were sitting on fence about watching this one.  

4 comments:

galaxiecarol said...

Ok.. exactly what is so offensive about Alaska kid movies???

magpie said...

I have nothing against Alaska, on the contrary, I feel that they were horribly slighted when a bunch of golden retriever puppies who wear t-shirts are supposed to be better racers than the glorious dogs of the arctic. All of my fury is for the spawn of Air Bud (and the fact that Disney is only pushing Princess/Fairy stories when they aren't forcing those sports playing golden retrievers on us).

Kat Mangione said...

Cat ownership propagnda? I have two LOVELY kittens. They are litter mates: one male and one female. The are approximately four months old. Disease free. Have their shots And are grey and white. I have named them Castor and Pollux. I would be willing to deliver! They are fond of each other. Their mama was left by the folks who rented the house previously. Mama got pregnant. Ooops! Kittens are used to dogs (big and small) and an 11 year old. They are free. :-)

magpie said...

Thanks Kat, but unfortunately, we'll have to wait until we are more settled for cats. We will probably be mobile in the next year or so and finding places that rent to people with both dogs and cats is harder that it should be.